Saturday 8 December 2012

Garden Dreams

I got to thinking a while ago about all the spare time I would have once the creative Christmas rush was over and what I might like to do with that spare time - You know all that spare time you have once you have worked 5 days a week and looked after a family!!!!

I wanted something that would get me out of my work area and sitting for long periods of time.  Something not too expensive, and also something that would interest at least one other member of my family.  So inspired by Rhonda at Down to Earth, a small collection of other lovely bloggers, and my husband complaining about the cost of tomatoes, I thought vegie gardening might be interesting.  

We have a largish back yard, but most of it is in the shade most of the day, so that wasn't going to work.  I also had to restrain myself and not go overboard and make it a bigger undertaking than it needed to be.  So vegie growing in pots on the balcony was the winner.

 I already had some pots tucked away in the shed, so all I had to purchase was some potting mix and seeds. Seeds aren't as instant as seedlings, but they are a lot cheaper and so much more fun.  And the really big bonus was that my 9 year old has taken a big interest in it all as well :)


These are my little baby tomatoes just starting to stick their heads above the soil.


And these snow peas were my first failure.  Since this pic was taken all but two have passed away :(


This was the plant that started it all off.  It was a school project
that survived long enough to make it home and thrive.  Just waiting for the tomatoes to ripen.


Cherry tomatoes and capsicum in one pot.  Another week and the capsicum will be ready.  We love them in salad.

The 9 year old and I go out in the afternoons to water them, check on them and see how they are going.  It only takes about 10 minutes but we both find it really enjoyable.  And it is thrilling to sit down and eat a salad that has a few things in it that you have grown.


1 comment:

  1. What a great start you're off to! I love what you've grown so far

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments. They are always welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...